The Traditionalist Worker Party (TWP) emerged in 2015 as the political arm of the Traditionalist Youth Network (TYN), which Matthew Parrott and Matthew Heimbach created in 2013. The TWP claimed to be America's "first political party created by and for working families."*Traditionalist Worker Party homepage, accessed August 24, 2017, http://www.tradworker.org/; "Traditionalist Worker Party," Southern Poverty Law Center, https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/traditionalist-worker-party.x Although the TWP claimed that it opposed racism, it endorsed former KKK leader David Duke for U.S. Senate, praising his "service of our identity" and his work "against the actual racial supremacists: the Zionists."*"TradWorker Endorses Dr. David Duke for Senate," Traditionalist Worker Party, August 10, 2016, https://www.tradworker.org/2016/08/tradworker-endorses-dr-david-duke-for-senate/.x The group is guided by the Fourteen Words mantra: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White children."*"25 Points," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed March 1, 2018, https://www.tradworker.org/points/.x Deceased white supremacist David Lane created the motto, which has been adopted by the TWP and various other white nationalist groups.*Brian Palmer, "White Supremacists by the Numbers," Slate, October 29, 2008, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/10/white_supremacists_by_the_numbers.html.x The Fourteen Words are the basis for the TWP's dedication to creating a "sustainable Homeland for our culture, identity, families, and blood."*"25 Points," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed March 1, 2018, https://www.tradworker.org/points/.x
The Southern Poverty Law Center has dubbed Heimbach a "rising star in the white supremacist world."*"Traditionalist Worker Party," Southern Poverty Law Center, https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/traditionalist-worker-party.x According to the Anti-Defamation League, Heimbach cites Duke as a major influence.*"Traditionalist Youth Network," Anti-Defamation League, accessed August 24, 2017, https://www.adl.org/education/resources/backgrounders/traditionalist-youth-network.x Parrott owns a compound in southern Indiana where he and his son-in-law, Heimbach, lived with other followers. The TWP planned to put forward candidates in Indiana's state and local elections in 2018.*Shay McAlister, "S. Indiana white nationalists working to shut the door on multicultural America," 2016, WHAS 11 ABC, http://www.whas11.com/news/special-reports/s-indiana-white-nationalists-working-to-shut-the-door-on-multicultural-america/373394558.x Heimbach promoted and attended the August 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.*Allison Carter and Robert King, "What we know about Matthew Heimbach, Indiana white nationalist who helped promote Charlottesville," Indianapolis Star, August 15, 2017, http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/08/15/what-we-know-matthew-heimbach-indiana-white-nationalist-who-helped-promote-charlottesville/568805001/.x
The TWP focused its rhetoric on what it termed the pillars of faith, family, and folk. The party called for a rejection of atheism and secularism while claiming its members come from the "traditional faiths of the European people." It promoted what it called traditional family values, and fought for the interests of white Americans, who it says have been "abandoned by the System and actively attacked by globalists and traitorous politicians." The group claims it actively fights for a white homeland in order to secure the future existence of the white people.*"Party Platform," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed August 24, 2017, http://www.tradworker.org/platform/.x
The group’s leadership fell into disarray in March 2018 after Heimbach was arrested for physical assault against his wife and Parrott, his step-father-in-law. Heimbach is married to Parrott’s stepdaughter. On March 13, 2018, Heimbach was arrested after a physical altercation with Parrott following Heimbach’s affair with Parrott's wife. Matthew Parrott resigned from TWP following the incident.* Marwa Eltagouri, “White nationalist leader Matthew Heimbach arrested on domestic battery charges,” Washington Post, March 13, 2018, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/13/white-nationalist-leader-matthew-heimbach-arrested-for-domestic-battery/?utm_term=.9680702f43da.x Parrott told the Daily Beast that because of the public altercation, "people have lost faith in the party on every level."*Kelly Weill, "Neo-Nazi Group Implodes Over Love Triangle Turned Trailer Brawl," Daily Beast, March 14, 2018, https://www.thedailybeast.com/matthew-heimbachs-traditional-workers-party-implodes-over-love-triangle-turned-trailer-brawl.x The TWP’s website shut down shortly after Parrott’s resignation, though its YouTube presence remains active. In September 2018, Heimbach briefly joined the National Socialist Movement as its community outreach director.* Brett Barrouquere, “Days after guilty plea, Matthew Heimbach re-emerges in new alliance with National Socialist Movement,” Southern Poverty Law Center, September 24, 2018, https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/09/24/days-after-guilty-plea-matthew-heimbach-re-emerges-new-alliance-national-socialist-movement; Michael Kunzelman, “Neo-Nazi group’s leader is black man who vows to dissolve it,” Associated Press, March 1, 2019, https://www.apnews.com/e3e80a2036994e71b0c4b331473734d1. x It remains to be seen whether other leaders will arise to continue the TWP.
Base of Operations
Paoli, Indiana*Allison Carter and Robert King, "What we know about Matthew Heimbach, Indiana white nationalist who helped promote Charlottesville," Indianapolis Star, August 15, 2017, http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/08/15/what-we-know-matthew-heimbach-indiana-white-nationalist-who-helped-promote-charlottesville/568805001/.x
Membership Size and Relevance
The TWP had chapters in Kentucky and Ohio.* Allison Carter and Robert King, “What we know about Matthew Heimbach, Indiana white nationalist who helped promote Charlottesville,” Indianapolis Star, August 15, 2017, http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/08/15/what-we-know-matthew-heimbach-indiana-white-nationalist-who-helped-promote-charlottesville/568805001/.x On YouTube, the group has gathered more than 6,800 subscribers and more than 407,000 channel views as of January 2, 2018.* Traditionalist Worker Party YouTube Channel, accessed January 2, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4f8Z2XefBDL421pnNEQH0Q/about.x By March 19, 2019, that number had decreased to 5,961.*Traditionalist Worker Party YouTube Channel, accessed March 19, 2019, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4f8Z2XefBDL421pnNEQH0Q/about. x The TYN YouTube channel has more than 55,000 views and 756 subscribers as of January 2, 2018.* Traditionalist Youth Network YouTube Channel, accessed January 2, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmcfC22VcMbUMJAAWq9zdw/about. x As of March 19, 2019, the YouTube channel’s subscribers had decreased to 729.* Traditionalist Youth Network YouTube Channel, accessed March 19, 2019, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmcfC22VcMbUMJAAWq9zdw/about. x As of August 2017, the TYN had more than 6,700 Twitter followers.* TradYouth, Twitter page, accessed August 24, 2017, https://twitter.com/tradyouth.x By January 2018, the TYN and TWP Twitter accounts had been suspended.
Recruitment and Propaganda
TWP promotes pro-white and pro-National Socialist propaganda.*"Propaganda," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed March 1, 2018, https://www.tradworker.org/propaganda/.x The TWP and TYN rely on the distribution of printed propaganda materials as well as social media and the group's website. The party's website offers a propaganda section with multiple pro-Nazi and white nationalist fliers, stickers, and other materials.*"Propaganda," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed August 24, 2017, http://www.tradworker.org/propaganda/.x Followers were encouraged to move to the group's compound in Indiana.*Shay McAlister, "S. Indiana white nationalists working to shut the door on multicultural America," 2016, WHAS 11 ABC, http://www.whas11.com/news/special-reports/s-indiana-white-nationalists-working-to-shut-the-door-on-multicultural-america/373394558.x
TWP has not been found to instigate violence. Some of its followers have, however, physically clashed with protesters.
- A June 2016 TWP rally in Sacramento, California, turned into a brawl between TWP supporters and the Sacramento chapter of the Anti-Fascist Network, leaving 10 people injured.*Tim Stelloh, Christopher Essner, and Jo Ling Kent, "10 Injured During White Nationalist Rally in California Capital," NBC News, June 26, 2016, https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/six-stabbed-during-white-supremacy-rally-california-n599281.x
- In March 2016, Heimbach physically assaulted a black protester at a Donald Trump campaign rally in Louisville, Kentucky. He was fined and ordered to attend an anger management program.*"Man charged with harassment over removal of Trump protesters," Associated Press, May 1, 2017, https://apnews.com/80eb94c018c5449e8089fd69f51a538b/Man-charged-with-harassment-over-removal-of-Trump-protesters; "White nationalist leader pleads guilty in Trump rally case," Associated Press, July 19, 2017, https://apnews.com/ee14f79ada6947e38e90ee9cac33d999/White-nationalist-leader-pleads-guilty-in-Trump-rally-case.x
- TWP: "The organized Jewish community's record of deceit, duplicity, and double-standards in lobbying against American interests within the American political system is unmatched."*"Party Platform," Traditionalist Worker Party, accessed August 24, 2017, http://www.tradworker.org/platform/.x
- Matthew Heimbach, 2017: "We are the only ideology that can defeat the international Jew and the international capitalist."*"What is National Socialism," YouTube Video, posted February 8, 2017, by Traditionalist Workers Party, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4f8Z2XefBDL421pnNEQH0Q.x
- Matthew Heimbach, 2016: "White Americans are getting fed up and they’re learning that they must either push back or be pushed down."*Dan Good, "Reviled racist Matthew Heimbach admits to pushing black woman at Trump rally, blames tension on Black Lives Matter," Daily News, March 2, 2016, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/matthew-heimbach-recalls-pushing-black-woman-trump-rally-article-1.2550304.x
- Matthew Parrott, 2016: "When critical thinkers are shown what to look for, they become anti-Semites in due time despite themselves, as Jewish subversion of the West is too pervasive and consistently hostile and destructive to remain objective about for long."*"Traditionalist Worker Party," Southern Poverty Law Center, https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/traditionalist-worker-party.x
- Matthew Parrott, 2016: "Homosexuality is universally taboo because it's dangerous, dysfunctional, and degenerate. It's not a healthy part of a balanced civilization. Homosexuality's like shingles, always lingering in the background but only flaring up into a real problem when a civilization's somehow weakened or decrepit."*"Traditionalist Worker Party," Southern Poverty Law Center, https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/traditionalist-worker-party.x