This year marks the 10th anniversary of the horrific attacks in Oslo and the island of Utøya in Norway. These attacks perpetrated by a violent right-wing terrorist had long lasting and profound impacts on Norway as well as the transnational violent right-wing extremist and terrorist milieu.
September 11, 2021, also marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, which significantly impacted not only American society but continues to have profound geopolitical reverberations. Given the current trajectory of al-Qaeda and ISIS affiliates in many regions of the globe, assessing the impact of the strategies implemented in the aftermath of 9/11 is of utmost importance as they continue to shape global counterterrorism policies.
To commemorate these tragic events, to analyze their long-term impact, and to assess the current terrorist landscape emanating from the extreme right-wing terrorist milieu as well as the Islamist terrorist scene, the Center for Research on Extremism: The Far Right, Hate Crime and Political Violence (C-REX) and the Counter Extremism Project (CEP) have partnered to organize this joint conference. The event features some of the most eminent global experts and counterterrorism practitioners on this issue.
Moderator: Dr. Hans-Jakob Schindler, senior director, CEP
10 Years After Oslo/Utøya
• The Long-Term Impacts of Terrorist Attacks: The Case of the July 22, 2011 Attacks in Norway | Tore Bjørgo, director, C-REX
• Breivik’s Long Shadow? The Impact of the July 22, 2011 Attacks on the Modus Operandi of Extreme-right Lone Actor Terrorists | Graham Macklin, assistant professor/postdoctoral fellow, C-REX [Not Recorded]
• From Monster to Hero? Explaining Variation in Far-right Support for Anders Behring Breivik | Lars Erik Berntzen, postdoctoral fellow, Department of Comparative Politics, University of Bergen, and affiliate researcher, C-REX
These presentations are based on the current issue of Perspectives on Terrorism: “The Long-Term Impacts of the July 22, 2011 Attacks in Norway – Ten Years After”
20 Years After 9/11
• The Geopolitical Impacts of the 9/11 Attacks | Frances Townsend, former U.S. Homeland security advisor, and president of CEP
• The Long-Term Impacts of the 9/11 Attacks on American Society | Mitchell Silber, former director of intelligence at the NYPD, and advisory board member of CEP
• The Long-Term Impacts of the 9/11 Attacks on Islamist Terro