(Brussels/New York, N.Y.) – The Counter Extremism Project (CEP) in cooperation with the European Policy Centre (EPC) are pleased to invite you to this online policy dialogue and launch event of their joint publication entitled Hiding in plain sight? Disguised compliance by terrorist offenders.
The concept of disguised compliance describes a process whereby a perpetrator deliberately manipulates the truth to disguise his/her true intent. Recent terrorist attacks, including the attack by Usman Khan on London Bridge in November 2019, have strongly suggested that violent extremists are using this technique to conceal their motives either in custody or while on supervision in the community.
The CEP-EPC Hiding in Plain Sight discussion paper, looks at the challenges in detecting and countering deception and proposes a set of recommendations for frontline practitioners, governments, and other actors across Europe and beyond who deal with risk management of extremists whether in prison custody or in the community. The publication incorporates the results of an CEP-EPC expert workshop that took place earlier in the year, which was also organized within the framework of the disguised compliance project launched by CEP and Staffordshire University.
Hiding in plain sight? Disguised compliance by terrorist offenders
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2021
Time: 9 a.m. ET / 15:00 CET
- Olivier Onidi, Deputy Director General for Migration and Home Affairs, European Commission
- Sir Mark Rowley, Former Head of the U.K. Counter Terrorism Policing and Distinguished Fellow, Royal United Services Institute (RUSI)
- Lucinda Creighton, Europe Advisor, Counter Extremism Project (CEP)
- Jim Gamble, Founding Chief Executive of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre and CEO at INEQE Safeguarding Group
- Ian Acheson, Senior Advisor, Counter Extremism Project (CEP)
- Gaby Thijssen, Psychologist, High Security and Terrorist Unit, Vught Prison, Netherlands
- Amanda Paul, Senior Policy Analyst, European Policy Centre (EPC)
Please register via the following link: https://epc.eu/en/events/Hiding-in-plain-sight-Disguised~430c10