Sign the Petition

In April 2018, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg claimed during a U.S. Senate committee hearing that “99 percent of the ISIS and Al Qaida content that we take down on Facebook, our A.I. systems flag before any human sees it.” Although Mr. Zuckerberg’s refrain of 99 percent may sound impressive, it is not sufficient to tackling the scourge of online extremism.

The 99 percent claim raises questions about the overall amount of ISIS and al-Qaeda content on Facebook, as well as from other extremist and hate groups Mr. Zuckerberg failed to mention. Facebook claims to have removed 1.9 million pieces of ISIS and al-Qaeda content from its platform in the first quarter of 2018. If that figure is accurate, and 99 percent of ISIS and al-Qaeda content uploaded to Facebook during this period equates to 1.9 million pieces, the remaining 1 percent would equate to approximately 19,000 pieces of ISIS and al-Qaeda content left on the platform. That is far too high a figure when we know that content is constantly downloaded, re-uploaded, and shared.

When there is threat of violence and terrorism, tech must seek to achieve 100 percent removal rates. Please sign the petition today and demand further action from Facebook.